Accrediting Body: ITSSAR
Location: At your company premises
Max No. per course: 3
Cost: Please see price list
This course is for candidates who are required to operate a Lorry Loader as part of their work and aims to provide them with a thorough understanding with the relevant operational and safety requirements.
Lorry Loader Novice course, this course is designed for Lorry Loader operators with no previous experience.
- Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
- Provision & use of work equipment regulations 1998.
- Lifting operations & lifting equipment regulations 1998.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Risk assessment.
- Identification of components & terminology and capabilities.
- Identification of controls.
- Drive and manoeuvre the lorry loader, park and secure vehicle.
- Awareness of electricity and proximity hazards on site during lorry loader operations.
- Inspection of slings & lifting equipment.
- Pre-operational vehicle checks.
- Pre-operational lifting equipment checks.
- Site the vehicle for lifting.
- Prepare lorry loader for lifting.
- Slinger signaller techniques.
- Lorry Loader operations techniques, safe use of the lorry loader.
- Prepare for on road travel.
- Prepare lorry for lifting.
- Lifting loads and placing loads on the vehicle and at ground level.
- Loading the lorry, position on vehicle, e.g. axel weights.
- Practical and theory tests.
On completion of the training course the trainee will be able to:
Identify the basic construction, purpose and function of components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
Identify and comply with manufacturer’s instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources i.e. duties charts, and applicable legislation.
Carry out all pre-use and running checks of the carrier vehicle, lifting appliance and relevant attachments
Explain the Safe Working Loads and Duties Chart for the loader.
Configure the lorry loader and carrier vehicle for site and road travel.
Manoeuvre the carrier vehicle into position in order to carry out the lifting of various loads.
Set up carrier vehicle to carry out lifts from minimum to maximum radius.
Use the correct attachment for the lifting of various loads.
Lift and place loads at varying radii.
Load a vehicle in accordance with industry practices.
Secure various loads on the vehicle bed in accordance with industry practices.
Keep within safe working parameters.
Place the loader and carrier vehicle in an out-of-service condition.